Wednesday 27 November 2013

All that's new from Dernier Publishing!


Welcome to the November 2013
Dernier Publishing
newsletter!

Death and life
What is your favourite season? Mine has to be spring, when bulbs start to push up through the ground, buds on trees begin to unfurl and the sun begins to get warmer – wonderful! But to get new life, there has to be a death first. Did you know that new buds growing on trees force the old leaves off? So, in our lives, all that is temporal is being gradually pushed out by the new life we have in Christ! How amazing is that! So let's embrace the winter, making the most of every opportunity we are given :-)

Why not take a few minutes to consider what the most important things in your life are . . . then consider what changes you might need to make, to make sure that your time and energy are focused on what really matters.

My second grandson!
May I introduce you to the newest little member of the family? He was born a little early and weighed just 5lb8oz (2kg). He is the sweetest, cutest, most precious little thing :-) You know, it's the quality of our relationships which make us rich or poor. So if you want to get rich quick, work on your relationships! I don't think the Beatles knew much about theology, but they got it right when they said that money can't buy love :-)

Christian Parenting Challenge
 If you knew you had a limited amount of time with your children, would you spend your time differently? My first husband died suddenly when our children were aged ten, fifteen and seventeen. My second husband's children only live with us for part of the time – the rest of the time they are with their mum. I have a friend whose son died in a tragic accident aged sixteen. Life can surprise and overtake us. Life is precious, but less than perfect.

Because our children grow up so quickly, I have set up a brand new Christian Parenting Challenge for those of us who would like to deepen our relationships with our children. Every day for 30 days, subscribers will receive an email with a challenge for that day. Challenges include things like listening to your child, creating something together, doing something for someone else together, the thorny issue of discipline and lots more . . .  Some of the challenges I did quite well when my children were 'children' (they're all grown up now!), some I really should have done a lot better, and many I never even thought of at the time. The thought behind writing the challenge was that perhaps I might be able to help others on their parenthood journey.

Christian Parenting Challenge is for mothers and fathers, for single parents, step-parents, and any other kind of parent. It's for those of you who have your children 24/7, those of you who have them at weekends, and those who only see them once a month. Whether you have the occasional nagging feeling that there could be more you can do to deepen your relationship with your child, or feel like you have hit rock bottom, please do consider joining us. You are assured of a warm welcome! You will find yourself doing all manner of simple but effective things to deepen your relationship with your children. And have lots of fun at the same time! Want to give it a go? Email me on Email Janet and I will add you to the list.
Christian Parenting Challenge is completely free
with absolutely no obligation :-)

Deepest Darkness in audio and on video!
 
I recently spent some time with author Denise Hayward recording 'Deepest Darkness' for audio and video! Many thanks to Sheila and Phil of PDT Media who are working on this project with us.
As you see, we had a lot of fun doing the recording! Will keep you posted as to when it will be available. You can listen to me reviewing Deepest Darkness on YouTube here: Deepest Darkness on YouTube :-)
Will keep you posted as to when the audio version will become available. If you would like to pre-order, let me know! It's a really gripping story, and Denise (did you know she is a trained actress?) is absolutely brilliant on camera - she kept us all spellbound!


Here's a bit about the story:
Abi suffers from terrible nightmares and her life is ruled by fear. She makes a new friend who shows her that true light shines, even in the deepest darkness of the rainforest at night! Abi gradually faces her fears and finds a new freedom. A thrilling, moving story for 8-11s.
This is one of the best books I have read – EVER!” - Maddie




Books in schools
I heard recently from a teacher at a Christian school in Northern Ireland, whose students are enjoying studying 'London's Gone' as part of their literacy. If you are involved in any way in a school, either as a parent or governor or teacher, why not mention our books to the English or library staff? As you know, all our stories are wholesome and inspiring for children to read, as well as having the 'message in a story' :-)

Sharing the vision with your group?
Thanks to Nicolette Gunn and the lovely group of ladies at 'Gods's Oasis' at Emmanuel Church in Guildford who gave me such a warm welcome when I went to speak a couple of weeks ago. I love meeting our supporters and I'm only sorry I forgot to take some photos! If you would like me to come and share the Dernier vision with your church group, contact me at the usual address – I'm based in London but can do a bit of travelling :-)

Absence of Christmas
Have you noticed I haven't mentioned Christmas yet? I hope you are impressed! Actually, I haven't even started my Christmas shopping yet . . . the only thing I have is the Christmas pudding, which I won in a raffle! If you are looking for great Christmas presents for the 8-16s you love, though, you know where to find them : Dernier website or your local Christian bookshop! I will be in touch again soon!


With many thanks for your support as always,


Janet


P.S. Don't forget to join the Christian Parenting Challenge! 

No comments:

Post a Comment