Tuesday 25 June 2013

Welcome to the June 2013 Dernier Publishing newsletter!


Welcome to the June 2013
Dernier Publishing
newsletter!


 

Reading is the best!
There's nothing quite like a good book, is there! Here's a wonderful quote from Gustave Flaubert: “You forget everything. The hours slip by. You travel in your chair through centuries you seem to see before you, your thoughts are caught up in the story, dallying with the details or following the course of the plot, you enter into characters, so that it seems as if it were your own heart beating beneath their costumes.” As summer holidays approach, let's give our children some great books to read! According to data released by the Dept. of Work and Pensions, one out of every six children in the UK lives in relative poverty. I'm not sure what that means exactly, but we all know families who are strapped for cash. Could you buy some books for families who might not be able to afford it? Don't let kids miss out.

Sunday School Prizes
If your church doesn't give out books to children, perhaps you might ask the minister or youth leader the reason? If they are under the impression that kids don't read any more, ask the Sunday School children what they are reading. It might spur them to action! If the concern is financial, perhaps they might ask people in the congregation to make a special gift, or sponsor a book each. Giving books away is an effective, gentle way of reaching out to whole families with the 'message in a story'. With so much ungodly stuff out there, it's an excellent form of outreach. Can we afford not to?

Don't forget you can order our books from any Christian bookshop, as well as direct from us.

Sharing the Wealth!
From Australia: Completely unexpectedly, author Mary Weeks Millard received the following email (I've shortened it a bit!): “I really enjoyed the books I Want to be an Airline Pilot and The Birthday Shoes and was excited to find out that there was others that followed I Want to be an Airline Pilot. I enjoyed the parts when Emily Jane went to different countries in The Birthday Shoes and was a bit disappointed when she tried the shoes and they did not fit any more, as I realised that I had reached the end of the book. I am 9 years old, I live in Australia. Thank you for writing books that make me think about how fortunate I am. Thank you for making me think about how much I take for granted.” Sadly, though, not as many books have been sold in Australia as hoped. Please would you take a few moments to pray? Thank you.
From Ayeisha in The Gambia: “A couple of months ago I gave a copy of Mary Millard's The Birthday Shoes to the security officer at a local supermarket (who loves reading books and I have given him some books before from our bookshop to read). It was for his daughter. He later told me his daughter enjoyed reading it so much that she asked if she could also read the book (The Heavenly Man) I had given him to read. They are not Christians. I pray that these books will help people to seek to know Christ. And I will certainly make another gift of books to ... I've just thought of the children's wing of the national hospital!”
From UK: Ellie says: I like Deepest Darkness because the girl Abi is ten and I am ten. Also I like things that have scary parts in. My rating out of 10 = 10/10 fabulous!
From where you are: Over to you, let me know!

Need help with your church bookstall?
Running a church bookstall can be a confusing and lonely task, but help is now at hand! For just £30 a year, the new 'Together' mag from Christian Resources Together will keep you in touch with all that's new, so you can supply your church with the best resources! Click here to take a look: http://www.christianresourcestogether.co.uk

Special Offers
Just in case you haven't already looked, this month's special offer is a 'Bless ten kids' offer, with ten Deepest Darkness at ten pounds off! It's a bargain at just £49.90 for ten books! Brilliant for summer clubs and camps. To get yours, follow this link: http://dernierpublishing.com and choose *Special Offers* on the menu bar, or visit your local Christian bookshop. Next month we will have a different book on offer, so do go back in July!

Do you know a child with visual impairment?
Did you know that 'Deepest Darkness' and 'Beech Bank Girls, Every Girl Has a Story' are now both available in giant print, braille and audio versions for anyone who suffers from sight loss? All these can be obtained from the Torch Trust: http://www.torchtrust.org . Perfect for children with less than perfect eyesight. Why should they miss out?
Oh, and older people love the stories, too, apparently!

Well I've run out of room again – there's just enough room for me to say thank you to you all so much for your support. If you would buy a book or two, it would help us enormously towards our aim to bring out Beech Bank Girls 4 soon. If you haven't got anyone to give them to, what about a gift to your nearest school? Www.dernierpublishing.com/youthf.php to choose! Thank you for standing with us :-)



Janet

P.S. Do find us on Facebook (Dernier Publishing), Twitter (@janetwilsonxxx) and Linked-In (Janet Wilson). It would be great to get to know you better! If you ever have any questions or comments, please contact me. It's always lovely to hear from you :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment