Monday 12 September 2011

Author profile, Mary Weeks Millard


Mary Weeks Millard
Author of The Birthday Shoes, I Want to Be an Airline Pilot and Living in Hope.

“I was born in Weymouth during the war. Due to my father's work in underwater weapons, our family travelled between Weymouth, Gloucester, Ross-on-Wye, Scotland, and finally settled in Bath in 1951 where I completed school and then won a scholarship to an Independent school for senior years. At this school I grew to love English literature, history and biology, and became an avid reader. I also remember my mother reading poetry, such as Hiawatha, aloud to me and my two brothers on Sunday evenings.

My parents were Christian believers and took me to church and Sunday School. However, we did not have a very happy family life and for some years I was sexually abused by a family member. I became very withdrawn and almost unable to communicate with people. I lived in a private world of books and stories I made up in my imagination. I wanted to know God and longed to know His love, so went to meetings and services regularly.

When I got my first job as microbiologist I met my first real friend, who took me to church where I met Jesus in a way I had not experienced before. Everything began to change in me. I grew in my faith, became more confident as a person then did my nurse's training.

My background in nursing and midwifery took me to Uganda to work. I met my first husband there and together we served in Congo and England in full time Christian work. My first husband worked for Scripture Union in bookshop management. He developed a neurological disease which left him paralyzed and wheelchair bound for many years. He died in 2000. After his death I became a short term missionary in Rwanda and Uganda. I married Malcolm in 2006 and we retired to live in Weymouth. I have three married children and five grandchildren. Our first daughter, Joy, sadly died in Congo where we were missionaries.

 When I have time I love to do watercolour painting, cross stitch embroidery, knitting and crochet. I also love photography, gardening and reading, and walking in the countryside or by the sea. I still travel regularly to Rwanda, Uganda and other African countries on short term missions, particularly in the area of reconciliation. My inspiration for I Want to Be an Airline Pilot and Living in Hope was working with child-led families in Rwanda. Although the places and people in these stories are fictional, they are based on real life situations. I find a joy in story telling and I love to hear about people's lives and how they arrived at where they are now. Just when I finish one project another seems to be in my mind – I guess this is the Holy Spirit inspiring me!”



'Living in Hope' ISBN 978 0 9569043 0 0 / £5.99
 For 8-11s.

The brand new sequel to I Want to Be an Airline Pilot!

















 I Want to Be an Airline Pilot 
 
ISBN 978 0 9536963 6 9 / £5.99


For 8-11s.
















































 

The Birthday Shoes


ISBN 9780 9536963 8 3 / £5.99

For 8-11s.













All books available from your local bookshop or direct from the Dernier Publishing website: www.dernierpublishing.com/youthf.php

Please find more information about Mary's books in previous posts :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment